Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pepper Steak Recipe Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon

Pin It Now!

Happy Labor day!!!  Well, the celebration continues at least when you relive the meal on your blog.

Today's post is all about the grill.  Well, mostly about the grill... some, it's a finishing sauce.  A killr finishing sauce.

First the grill... What a bargain... I mean really WHAT A BARGAIN I came across at my local grocery store.  Most stores had an "end of summer" meat sale last weekend in preparation for the Labor Day weekend.  Not sure if I have said this before, but I am cheap.  Really cheap.  I buy on sale, especially meat, I only buy on sale.  That's why I make so much chicken, it always seems to be on sale.  But last week... I mean WHAT A SALE...


Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...


5 ounce Filet, bacon wrapped... $2 each!  really!  I am going to share a sauce in a minute that cost more than the meat... When's the last time that happened!  And, you will be seeing more bacon wrapped steaks soon, as I have 10 more of these in my freezer.  I love being cheap!

As to the grilling and the prep on the beef... K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid

Rub a little Olive Oil on the steak
Lots of Sea Salt
Lots of Fresh Ground Pepper
Flip and do the other side.

That's it.  Don't make it complicated.  And the grilling is equally simple...

Pre heat the grill.  If you are using a gas grill, run it on high for 10-15 minutes so the grate is HOT.  If you are using coals, again, don't just light em and cook, light em, and let everything get HOT before you add the meat.  That's really the only trick.

Now, these are about 1 inch thick (thickness of a slice of bacon).   They will cook fast, especially if you like medium rare.  Try for that diamond shaped grill pattern...

Flop on the HOT grill... 2 minutes, turn 90 degrees... and BTW, only use tongs, NEVER puncture with a fork.

wait another two minutes, flip, 2 more minutes, turn 90 degrees, another 2 minutes and you are done.

Go ahead, use a meat thermometer, 135-140 degrees internal temperature is medium rare.


But, this post isn't about the meat... This post is all about a finishing sauce.  It comes together fast.  All I did was add a TBS of the sauce over the top after the flip.  Just enough to flavor, not to overtake the taste of the meat!

Click the photo to see
CookingNook.com the Blog"s
Original post
I was looking over the options on eRecipeCards.com and spotted a beautiful photo with a sauce submitted by CookingNook.com the Blog.

Now, I didn't really make changes in the ingredients, but since I was cooking on the grill and the CookingNook recommended cooking in a heavy pan, I only needed a bit to soak into the meat instead of the sauce braising into the meat from the bottom up.  So, I cut everything in half.

The sauce is actually a liquefied butter with wine and brandy added.  Incredibly tasty!  Adds a nice little zing to the steak.  I just didn't make enough changes in the recipe to justify posting it here.  As she wrote, the recipe is OUTSTANDING.  Adds just the right amount of zing to your steak.  Highly highly highly recommended.

Please click the photo of the steal just above or HERE (the magic blue letters) to see the original post.  works well as a finishing sauce or as a braising sauce if you are cooking that steak in doors!

Click the Logo to magically go to The Cooking Nook Website
Click the photo to see the link
to the CookingNook.com's eCookBooks
The CookingNook.com the blog is an off shoot of The CookingNook.com.  Kind of like this blog and eRecipeCards.com.   Karen is the mastermind behind the CookingNook.  Her site is amazing.  Not only does she provide a FREE newsletter, but she also has a collection of eCookBooks she offers.

I have a weak spot in my heart for anyone trying to stretch the hobby of food blogging into a job.  I was very excited to read the first few paragraphs in her bio...
Hi
I'm Karen Ciancio, and CookingNook.com is not only my website, it's my pride and joy. Okay - along with my two cats, Molly and Zack.
I love pouring through cookbooks of all kinds. I've always wanted to be one of those people with a huge cookbook library. Cookbooks take me to wonderful places and get my creative juices flowing. Do I always follow those wonderful, sometimes complicated looking, recipes? No.
I tend towards more down home cooking in my own kitchen, with a nod to some healthy eating. Like most people these days, I have a busy schedule (why are we all so busy?), so I always look for recipes that taste delicious but don't keep me in the kitchen all day. Sometimes I just make up my own. The ones that work you will hear about on this site, the others - well, let's just say some things are better left alone. :)
Her site, her blog and her business are very professional in content and look.  Cat lover that I have become, I have taken a look at the recipes she has submitted to eRecipeCards.com and they are exactly the type of recipes I like... standard fair (like a simple steak), just done in an upscale manor (like her braising sauce).

Spend a few minutes on her site... you will love it!


So, if I have tweeked your interest in Karen and the CookingNook.com The Blog Blog , head on over and say HI for me!

And for a quick look at what she blogs, click on the logo link image to the left.  You will see all the eRecipeCards that Karen has submitted to eRecipeCards.com.  You can add her recipes to your eRecipeBox (once you have a free account).

See how useful the site is and how easy it is to find new favorite bloggers!

These posts continue to highlight bloggers and recipes that I have found on  "eRecipeCards.com"..


3 comments:

  1. Fanatstic looks this peppersteak:) So inviting .Will check the website soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn' like pepper steak! I LOVE it and yours looks like it should have made it to my plate here in France! LOL!
    Another tasty post Dave!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love pepper steak, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

FMP