Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Poblano Rotisserie Chicken Soup

Pin It Now!

A new take on a vegetable soup...

The "Normal" vegetable soup, made with carrots, celery and onions is simmered for 4 hours for all the flavors to mix and flavor the broth.  Then cream is added with a roux to thicken.  Also the Poblano peppers are added, but only for the last hour of cooking.  this way the peppers still have some crunch to them and retain most of their flavor.

Add a little hot sauce and this is wonderfully spicy, full of flavor and DELICIOUS!!!

Plus it's just plain pretty... Full of color and flavors!


Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...


OK... Here's What I Did...


Poblano Rotisserie Chicken Soup


Ingredients
  • 2 TBS Olive Oil
  • 2 Large Carrots, sliced
  • 2 Stalks Celery, Sliced Same size as Carrots
  • 1 Large Red Onion, Rough Dice
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1/2 Cup Cilantro, rough chop
  • 2 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 1 TBS Cumin
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1 tsp Dried Thyme
  • Salt and Pepper Pinch of each
  • 1 Cup Heavy Cream
  • 3 Medium Poblano Peppers, sliced thin, Julianne style
  • 3 TBS Butter
  • 3 TBS Flour
  • 3 Cups Chicken from a Rotisserie Chicken (Meat from 1 Breast and 1 Leg made 3 cups), Diced
  • Extra Hot Sauce to Taste I like to use Tobasco Brand Hot Sauce... 12 drops in the soup and extra at the table when serving
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large Saute Pan, heat the Olive Oil. Add the Carrots, Celery and Onion to make a large size dice Sofrito.
  2. Saute for 5 minutes, until the onion starts to turn translucent.
  3. Add the Cilantro and Garlic and saute for another minute.
  4. Move the Sofrito to a large Crock Pot, set on Low heat.
  5. Add the Chicken Stock, Cumin, Oregano, Thyme...stir and cover and leave for 4 hours.
  6. After 4 hours, Add the Heavy Cream and Poblano Peppers.
  7. Make a Roux to thicken the soup... In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt the butter over low to medium heat. Add the flour and stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Do not allow the flour to burn, keep stirring.
  8. Add the roux to the crock pot.
  9. Add the chicken and the hot sauce to the pot.
  10. Cook on high, covered for 1 more hour, stirring occasionally.
  11. Serve HOT and ENJOY!!!

Of course, one of my new favorite "52 Uses for a Rotisserie Chicken" (now over 75!!!).

I am trying something a bit new this round of recipes... My own little culinary challenge of seeing just what I can do with a single rotisserie bird.  This is a tiny bit of a cheat as I am using the wings from 2 birds, but you could easily do this with just the wings from a single bird

This is week Number three, chicken number THREE... and the Fifth recipe I made from the blessed bird. If you click HERE, you will see my page devoted to my "52 Uses for a Rotisserie Chicken" (now over 75!!!).  Scroll down to the bottom and you will see some of the possibilities of what you can make with a single bird (week one, seven dishes, week 2 a record EIGHT dishes all from the same bird).

I already used a leg quarter to make a Rotisserie Reubon Calzone for 2 People.  I still have more than half the bird for more to come!

I turned leftover side dish into a filling spicy Buffalo Chicken Risotto for 2 People with the meat from only one of the breasts.

I made a FANTASTIC Chicken Alfredo White sauce Pizza from one thigh

I even made Buffalo Chicken Wings!...

And I finished off the Bird's breast and a leg that I made this soup!

My Goals for the experiment......
  1. Eat Well... Make something that tastes good.
  2. Recipes for 2 people. One of the great things about a rotisserie chicken is the versatility fr a quick meal for small dinners (breakfast and lunch). Save the BIG cooking for another day, let's have something for just my wife and myself (and young couples, empty nest couples and singles)
  3. Versatility... Just how many rotisserie chicken recipes are out there???
  4. Keep Track of the costs... Life on a budget, need I explain more?
  5. Go beyond the basic recipes and add some tips and HOT TO Photos appropriate for less experienced cooks so that indeed...ANYONE CAN COOK THIS!
I hope the tips and extra photos helped...

***********

So, as to cost for this dish....

The chicken averages out to a dollar per recipe.
The Sofrito averages about a Dollar
The peppers cost another Buck
The Cream another Dollar.
All the spices and hot sauce are from my pantry, items I always keep in stock.

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Recipes for Soup, Chili or Chowder" (Now more than 52 and still growing)

Soup from Scratch is one of the great kitchen joys.  The house smells amazing and the soup warms to the bone.  From broth to chowder, vegetarian to loaded up chili... Even a great idea for a party (love the Potato Soup Bar idea).  Come take a look, sure to have something you might like to try.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!
*************************************************************************

So, I am pleased to add this as one of my growing list of "52 Uses For a Rotisserie Chicken"  (Now close to 100!)

MUCH more than a chicken sandwich.  From Scratch Pizza to Chinese Take Out recipes, Lots of Soups and Chili... Appetizers to Main Courses (Still can't find a dessert, but I am looking).  More than enough ideas for that store bought bird to shine with just a little extra work.  All recipes have been tested and WORK!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP